Pages

Tuesday, November 4, 2014

We Start All Over

Yesterday I had to start my story over, not that I'd written much beforehand. But it still means that I'm falling drastically behind schedule.

When I originally wrote the 900 or so words I started with, it just wasn't sitting right with me. It was blocky and choppy, and I just could not find my characters voice. I sat down, thought about it, and realized that I'd started at the wrong point in my characters life. I also started in third person, which I have since switched to first person, although I keep going back and forth.

So as of today, I'm sitting at just under 2,500 words. Which sounds great, if I wasn't supposed to be sitting at around 6,000 words. Man this is tough.

I'm thinking that it might be a good idea to sit down and block out scenes, but I've never written like that before. This is definitely uncharted territory for me. I'm getting all nervous that no one is going to like my story even though no one has to read it!

It seems my pesky inner editor is still in my head.

Any thoughts on whether or not planning ahead or just letting it flow is better? I know one or the other isn't going to work for everyone, but I'm curious if one works more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment